All About PrEP
What is PrEP?
- Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis, also known as PrEP, is a once-daily pill (Truvada) taken orally that helps to reduce the likelihood of HIV transmission
- The drug Truvada was approved by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) in July 2012 for use as prophylaxis for HIV
- When taken reliably, PrEP is 92% effective in reducing the transmission of HIV
- PrEP is a prevention tool that can be used with condoms and/or other prevention methods to provide greater protection than when used alone
Who Should Consider PrEP?
Link to source: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/prepguidelines2014.pdf
Not on PrEP, but interested? Tell us what you think in this survey!
How do I get PrEP?
- It’s important to talk to your healthcare provider about PrEP and
- Complete medical tests to see if PrEP is right for you, these include:
- HIV Test
- STI Test
- Other body function tests
- PrEP requires regular follow up visits to your medical provider every 3 months, which include STI Tests and kidney function test
How do I pay for PrEP?
- PrEP is expensive so most patients use assistance programs to help cover cost ($1500/month)
- Gilead, the drug company that makes PrEP, offers an assistance program: (https://www.truvada.com/how-to-get-truvada-for-prep/truvada-cost)
- If you are enrolled in government healthcare programs (Medicare part D, Medicaid, Tricare or VA) you may be eligible for other sources of support through independent co-pay foundations For more information please visit https://www.gileadadvancingaccess.com/
- Private insurance can also cover PrEP
What Does PrEP not do?
- Guarantee 100% protection from HIV
- Protect against other STI’S
- Cure HIV
- Prevent pregnancy
- Treat HIV for someone currently living with HIV
For more information about PrEP, please check out the following resources:
- To Locate a Medical Provider who prescribes PrEP
- For additional support and information on PrEP
- If you are a provider interested in prescribing PrEP, but need more information
- Watch a video on how PrEP works
Download XONE APP
Looking for safe sex advice that wasn’t written for your parents? Download the new XONE Nebraska app for real, honest info you can trust – plus a condom guide and a map so you can find prevention & contraception, testing & treatment centers, PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis), and free condoms. Download the app today – search for XONE Nebraska in the App Store or Google Play. Or, click here: http://bit.ly/XONE-Android | http://bit.ly/XONE-iOS
Any medical questions or concerns should always be addressed with a physician. However, if you wish to discuss basic PrEP information, our Prevention Team is knowledgeable and can answer most questions. Please contact 402-552-9260.