Connecting to Health Care

Where to begin?

Connecting to health care can be a stressful and daunting task, especially if you are unsure about your insurance coverage or do not have insurance. Below we list the steps necessary to connect with a medical provider when you’ve just been diagnosed with HIV, or if you are new to the area and just need a new medical provider. There are NO waiting lists for these programs in Nebraska or Iowa. As long as you are eligible and provide all necessary documentation, coverage is immediate.

I Have Insurance, What’s Next?

If you already have private insurance, a COBRA plan, insurance through, Medicaid, or Medicare, you can go straight to the Medical Referrals page to view contact information for local infectious disease physicians. When attending your first appointment with a new provider, make sure to bring proof of your medical coverage such as your insurance card or your Medicare/Medicaid card.

Even if you already have private medical insurance, you may be eligible for medication co-pay assistance through the AIDS Drug Assistance Program. Eligibility is based on income. Please note: Medicaid prescriptions are not eligible for co-pay assistance through the ADAP program.

I Don’t Have Insurance, What Now?

Even with the Affordable Care Act, many people are still without health insurance. Fortunately, there are programs available to help pay your basic HIV-related medical costs so that you can receive treatment for your HIV and other health needs.

The Ryan White Care Act is a federal program that provides each state with funding to provide medical care and medication to people living with HIV/AIDS. Medication is provided by the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP). To be eligible for these programs, you must fall under certain financial eligibility guidelines – specifically, you must fall at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (you can view the numbers here).

If you do not have any other form of insurance and fall at or below these guidelines, you can apply for Ryan White and ADAP funding to cover your HIV medical care and HIV medications. You can complete the necessary application with a case manager at any NAP office, or at the UNMC Specialty Care Center. With this application, you will need to supply your recent pay stub, verification of any financial benefits you already receive, or your income tax form to show the income you made the previous year. If you do not currently have income, you do not need to supply these items. Please contact your local NAP office or UNMC if you have any questions or need to apply.

Click here for a list of HIV specific medical providers in your area.